In MoodleCloud you can set up two different types of groups depending on your needs. These are known as cohorts and groups:
- Cohorts are site-wide or course category-wide groups. The purpose of cohorts is to enable all members of the cohort to be easily enrolled in a course. In a school setting each grade could be a cohort.
- Groups are available at an individual course level. These are useful when you want to allocate a particular activity, resource or topic section to just one class or set of users and you don't want others to see it. A course can have several groups.
A group or grouping can be used on two levels:
- Course level - The group mode defined at the course level is the default mode for all activities defined within that course.
- Activity level - Each activity that supports groups can also have its own group mode defined.
- If the course setting Force group mode is set to Yes then the option to define the group mode for individual activities is not available. If it is set to No, then the teacher may change the group mode.
To use groups you need first to set a group mode:
- Go to Site Administration
- Click Course
- Click Course Default Settings
- Scroll down to Groups
- Select either Separate Groups or Visible Groups (with separate groups each group can only see their own group, others are invisible)
Group levels can allow each Cohort to move from one group level to another.
*You can read more about cohorts here.
You can read more about groups here.
You can read more about group levels here.